Not sure if this will help Marvin, I came across a youtube video of a
literature student in Texas who also paints.  You could listen to the
story on youtube: http://tinyurl.com/26qqnu
Although I have to warn you the narration is a little schmaltzy.

I did a little research and found some more detail on the story:

"About five years ago, Mr. Bramblitt realized his sight was going
away. %u201CMy heart just sank,%u201D he said. %u201CIt seemed like
the entire world went away.%u201D Doctors haven%u2019t been able to
determine the reason for Mr. Bramblitt%u2019s blindness.

Mr. Bramblitt, who had drawn and written before going blind, kept
writing. But it wasn%u2019t the cathartic experience he was seeking.
He thought about painting. He figured he%u2019d try painting for a
year and see where it took him.

One big hurdle: How to apply paint on canvas in the right places.

A solution: Make a raised drawing %u2014 a bumpy outline you can feel
with your hands %u2014 and form a map that makes it easier to
determine the boundaries of the image. He tried glue, but it cracked.
Then he discovered fabric %u2014 or puffy %u2014 paint, which leaves a
raised line after it dries.

He uses oil paints because each color has its own texture. He feels
the paint in his hands to help guide him to the right colors. He also
uses his hands to see the canvas, moving them along the fabric to
determine the boundaries.

While Mr. Bramblitt started painting for himself, he eventually
showed his work to friends and family. When his friend, Jacqi Serie,
saw his paintings, she joked that she thought he was faking.
%u201CIt%u2019s hard [for others] to wrap their heads around the fact
that he can draw that well without seeing,%u201D she said.

Here is john Bramblitt's website: http://www.bramblitt.net/
here is his email address johnbramblitt at hotmail.com

Note that he says on his contact page "I would like to encourage
anyone that is blind/visually impaired or knows someone that is and
would enjoy painting to please feel free to contact me. I don%u2019t
have all the answers, but maybe working together we could at least
come up with some intelligent questions."

Good luck & g-day ,pauric

http://gamma.ixda.org/discuss?post=21538