Robert wrote: "There are also some good reasons not to use these
tools."

I would argue that the tools used for a task such as prototyping are
pretty much irrelevant.  As long as it gets the job done.

Now, understanding what it will take to get the job done requires you
understanding who the audience of that document is.

It seems to me a lot of different things get called 'prototypes',
right up to near specifications.  Which is fine, but Robert
highlights an issue with such a generic label for a document that can
be for anything from a personal feasibility eval right up to a client
presentation or something that might be handed off to implementation.

As I said previously, the first and foremost part of prototyping for
me is understanding the audience, producing the right level of detail
required for that audience to interpret the design decisions captured
withing.  I chose to label some of these docs 'mockups', that suits
my process.  It would seem a worthwhile exercise to put a coversheet
on your 'prototyping' to explain whether the doc is up for review
or just a heads-up presentation level release.

We put annotations on the elements within a prototype, why not
annotate the entire thing with its purpose?

In the past when I've called something a prototype in the wrong
context I've set myself up for a world of mess when what I had was
almost final.

http://gamma.ixda.org/discuss?post=22050