-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of pauric
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 3:49 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [QUAR] Re: [IxDA Discuss] What tools do you use for prototyping?

Robert wrote: "There are also some good reasons not to use these tools."

I would argue that the tools used for a task such as prototyping are pretty
much irrelevant.  As long as it gets the job done.

Now, understanding what it will take to get the job done requires you
understanding who the audience of that document is.

It seems to me a lot of different things get called 'prototypes', right up
to near specifications.  Which is fine, but Robert highlights an issue with
such a generic label for a document that can be for anything from a personal
feasibility eval right up to a client presentation or something that might
be handed off to implementation.

As I said previously, the first and foremost part of prototyping for me is
understanding the audience, producing the right level of detail required for
that audience to interpret the design decisions captured withing.  I chose
to label some of these docs 'mockups', that suits my process.  It would seem
a worthwhile exercise to put a coversheet on your 'prototyping' to explain
whether the doc is up for review or just a heads-up presentation level
release.

We put annotations on the elements within a prototype, why not annotate the
entire thing with its purpose?

In the past when I've called something a prototype in the wrong context I've
set myself up for a world of mess when what I had was almost final.

from the new ixda.org http://gamma.ixda.org/discuss?post=22050