First, do no harm.
Respect the inherent worth and dignity of every person in contact with
the product: actor and receiver.
Respect the limited resources of our planet.
Design for people, not for Man.
Respect the limits of human beings: physically, cognitively,
emotionally.
Be attentive to the drain on effort, time, and attention.
Fit the design into the social and cultural context of use.
Users are the subject matter experts and should be listened to.
Except when they shouldn't be. I'm the design expert.
Make the product dissolve into the behavior of the task.
A product designed without emotion will never be loved.
Time is the ultimate test of any design.

Dan

Dan Saffer
Experience Design Director, Adaptive Path
http://www.adaptivepath.com
http://www.odannyboy.com