There is an interesting book on Design by Kees Dorst -- Understanding
Design: 150 Reflections on Being a Designer (2003).  In the intro to
his book he notes "Together, the 150 essays in this book provide a
panoramic view over the subject of design. The essays are written to
challenge designers and students of design, to reflect upon the many
aspects of the field"  (p. 10).

Topics in design include:

Design as...
Design problems
Design solutions
Kinds of designing
Elements of design
How to...?
Thinking about design
The experience of designing
Education
On Designers
Creative minds
Thinking tools for designers
Design teams
Designing in context
Managing design
Design morality
Design debates

The essays are each about 1 page long.

Quite an interesting little book that explores design from many
perspectives including prototypes and prototyping (and metaphor).

chauncey