I am going to take a bit of an issue with the premis here. Unless they are
showing a measurement that is specific (absolute numbers or percentage) and are
distorting those numbers they are hardly out and out telling a lie.

These are relative and fuzzy scale indicators. They may not be linear, but how
do we know that they do not accurately reflect the situation.. The second half
of a tank of gas in my car always goes faster than the first... did Audi lie?
Though I can not think of a case off the top of my head, I can imagine a
situation where the exact measurement value is not telling me what I really
need to know. Maybe the battery looses more juice in the second half of the
charge than in the first. So which display is the truth?

Mark may have more insight into the 'intent' in these case than I do, but I
think that is the real measuring stick. Did they willingly diseave?

At many junctures IX designers make trade-offs for and against the user. While
I often play the role of extreme user advocate, I certainly understand that
sometimes the interface must nod in the direction of monetization. That's life
in the business world.