> I am going to take a bit of an issue with the premis here. Unless
> they are showing a measurement that is specific (absolute numbers
> or percentage) and are distorting those numbers they are hardly out
> and out telling a lie.

You're right that systems can be inaccurate due to technology
idiosyncrasies, but the specific story (or rumor) is that the mobile
carriers do it deliberately for the purpose of driving up minutes. In
which case, it's a lie.

The premise of the question, really, is that we designers can be
asked by our bosses to design deceptive systems in order to increase
company profits.

-Cf

Christopher Fahey
Behavior