> Anyone want to post an example of a "properly" done persona. I think
> if you did, it would make the problem easier to resolve.

http://tinyurl.com/2nu3tr

[Thinking of today's other thread about TinyURL... The above link brings you
to an entry on my blog titled "Download an example persona used in the
design of a web application." Either that, or a porn site... Kidding,
kidding! It's the blog!]

The process of creating personas had a real impact on this project, which I
summarize in the blog entry. Note I said the "process" and not the
"persona." The design team participated fully in the research and analysis
behind this project's personas, and as a result had largely internalized the
findings by the time we were done. I propose that, for designers, the
experience of creating personas is more valuable than the personas
themselves. In the end, personas serve mostly as reminders of what we've
learned.

It's worth noting that the personas on this project turned out to be
valuable for more than just design. They acted as (1) a communications tool
for sharing what we'd learned with the broader team, and subsequently as (2)
a reference point for rethinking product strategy. That's because our
research uncovered some real surprises, communicated by the personas.

In the end, personas are just a report format. Or if you hate reports (and
who doesn't?), think of them as a communications channel.

I cringe when people talk about needing personas. No you don't! You need the
particular *insights* communicated by personas, insights about goals,
behaviors, and context. If you don't need those insights (perhaps because
you're the customer and can design for yourself), then forget personas.

For this project, we needed those insights. And the *process of creating
personas* did the trick nicely.

--
Robert Barlow-Busch
www.chopsticker.com