I never really thought the "cuteness" thing was an issue at all. I
thought the writing style of the persona is much more of a roadblock.
I've looked at the example from Chopsticker 4-5 times (it was posted
in another previous thread as well) and I've never had the attention
span to read the whole thing. It's a bunch of long paragraphs, and
that's what makes it hard to digest, IMO.

Also, how relevant is the information? What design decision would you
make based on the following information from the persona?

"He doesn't suffer fools, just as he won't put up with anything that
stands in the way of getting his job done."

I realize part of the perceived value of personas is the narrative. I
do think, as someone in this thread suggested, that formatting the
data in more of an outline format - headings, bullets, etc - removing
some fluff, would go a long way towards getting people to actually
consume the data.

If I'm expected to constantly refer back to a document when I'm
designing something, then don't format the thing so it takes 10
minutes to read, and you have to sift through long paragraphs of
content to find valuable info.

The two goals at the very beginning and the chunks of data below
Timothy's picture on the first page were the most valuable things to
me - it took me 30 seconds to digest that information. But then again,
I haven't read the whole thing :-)

I'm not trying to be harsh towards the creator of the Chopsticker
persona, I think the persona has many strengths, but also areas for
improvement.

Jeff