Since I work on helping to design what is fairly complex software, i'd like
to chime in on this.

i agree that fixing bugs is not the same as fixing design.

however, anyone who has worked at a startup with scant resources, aggressive
time lines and so forth, will also tell you that you're often faced with
tough choices:

   - take X months to design the perfect system - not an option for a
   company that has to ship or release a product yesterday
   - implement a design that will work - learn from it and try to improve
   it based on real-world use - not ideal but the most practical given limited
   time and resources

www.flyingyogi.com