-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Russell
Wilson
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 12:30 PM
To: IxDA
Subject: [IxDA Discuss] Fixing bugs is not fixing design!

Excerpted from a post on my blog:
http://www.dexodesign.com/2007/11/fixing-bugs-is-not-equivalent-to-fixing.ht
ml

Would love feedback fromn IxDA'ers...

[snip]

At Dux2007 <http://www.dux2007.com/> in Chicago, I attended a workshop where
I asked the group why we don't design software like we do hardware? Why
don't we spend more time in prototypes, mockups, etc. One of the attendees,
a software designer... said "because it's cheap to fix software problems -
all you have to do is make a download available that resolves the bugs."

That's what so many executives are really thinking, aren't they? Build it,
test it, get it
out the door, and then ship fixes as necessary. Time to market, fix later.

And herein lies the mistake: fixing bugs is not equivalent to fixing design.

True, bugs in software can be fixed easier and cheaper than bugs in
hardware. But we're not talking about bugs--we're talking about DESIGN. You
can't fix a design with a download! Design is the essence of the product,
how the product interacts with users, the personality of the product, the
metaphors, etc.

Attempting to fix design in an update results in confusion, retraining,
potential loss of trust, etc. The changes are too significant. Therefore
redesign is often delayed until the next major release of the product,
resulting in additional costs, potential loss of customer loyalty and the
opportunity to "lock them in", etc.

So, yes, software bugs can be remedied easier than bugs in hardware. But
design problems in software are no easier or cheaper to resolve than
hardware design flaws, and therefore we (software designers, creators,
builders) must adopt better processes, principles, and expertise towards
designing better software products from the start.

Russell Wilson
Vice President, Product Design
NetQoS, Inc.