I have had to do exactly this in the past with a project where we had
the HI FI coded and ready to go, but there were additional tasks that
we needed that would take longer to code. We created screenshots of
the hifi prototype and related dialogs - mainly file open dialogs
that anyone would know. We scanned these and started the test first
with these. We had specific tasks that were addressed by this low fi
approach. After that we proceeded to the next set of tasks that were
HiFi. It worked fine. We did explain before starting that we would be
starting with screenshots that were not interactive for one set of
tasks and then moving onto a working prototype for the next set. I
think because the screenshots were of the HiFi prototype the
participants were not distracted. Also, I agree with Todd, I was a
good moderator.