Haven't seen any particularly memorable instance of faceted
navigation, but there is something that I often find annoying with
many implementations: it is impossible or very hard to get a list of
for example, *all* of a class of products that are being sold in an
e-shop. (i.e. to get a list of all laptops on sale, regardless of
brand, price etc.)

Why would I want to do that? Because quite often I don't know what I'm
looking for, or I'm searching for something that I can't quite fit in
the available categories etc. (this may be exaggerated by the fact
that I'm not a native english speaker, and I didn't grow up in the UK,
so for example I'm not familiar with the terminology used for
household goods here) In these cases, a pair of human eyes (combined
with good graphic design) can be the best search engine. Don't
underestimate the power of Visual Search :)