Seeing Graphic Design or Art backgrounds was a surprise to me because
as I do research on how to prepare to enter the ID/UX arena, there
are quite a lot of references (mostly in job posts) to education in
cognitive learning (Psyc), or HCI which has Psyc courses in it's
curriculum.  And some even ask for PHD's in Psyc.  But, it seems
that no matter how you all arrived there, you all have been
successful in obtaining & maintaining your IxD careers.

I guess the key requirement is having the desire to make the users
happy by making their tasks as intuitive & quick as possible.  In
other words, the app can do exactly what it is supposed to and look
great, but if it is hard to use, users/product customers may either
reject it or often complain.  And I'm further guesing that "how"
an IxD comes up with the solutions for remedies is not important as
long as the problems gets solved.  Please correct me if I'm off
base.