Jim said:
> study of heraldry %u2014 coats of arms. Layering
> of colors, readability at a distance,
> points of difference%u2026 there's a lot of good
> basics there that have been around for
> 1000 years.

Agreed!  In a different context, look even further back at Chinese
calligraphy, if you can find someone knowledgeable to explain it.
Fascinating to explore the way it's evolved from pictographs, and I
only know a little of it.  It's a very rich non-linear language
because each character in its essence represents not a sound but an
idea.

Jeff