Hi -

I thought this was an interesting (and infuriating) article that
deserved to be seen more widely, and it also bizarrely reminded me of
several software decisions that I have seen in the past - changes
that appear to address a concern, implemented because it is easier
(and ironically more believable) to fake a solution than it is to
explain the technical reality to people who aren't computer engineers.

http://jetlagged.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/28/the-airport-security-
follies/index.html

If anyone has seen and dealt with a similar situation without
building a fake solution I'd be interested to hear about it.

MT