Although I'll certainly admit it is somewhat OT, I was thinking of it
more generally as designing something that appears to be a solution
rather than something that actually is.  Or at least that's how I
rationalized posting it.  :-)

A good general example of this in software design would be progress
bars.  Some are in fact accurate but many are fudged to some degree
or other, and in that case they are just a design element that has
been produced to elicit the desired response (patience) from the user.

MT