On Jan 7, 2008, at 8:43 AM, Benoît Meunier wrote:

> For a better reading experience: *Arial or Verdana?*

Arial is a bastardized version of Helvetica created because those in
charge of the operating system didn't want to pay the license fee
that would be required to put a proper font on their computer. (Both
Apple and Microsoft are guilty of this.) My general preference for
specifying the fonts for anything on a web site is generally:
Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif. In that order.

Even as a bastardized version, Arial is still more readable and
flexible for web projects that require heavy amounts of copy.

There's a long history behind Tahoma and Verdana that I won't go
into. You can Google that. But Tahoma was made to give Windows95 a
new look and feel for the screen, back when screen resolutions and
such were much lower than they are today. (At the time, Apple had
Chicago and Espy, and Microsoft was looking to create their own
aesthetic to compete.) Tahoma was basically designed for 9px, 10px,
11px and 12x sizes only. (Maybe 13px as well, I forget off the top of
my head.) And by designed, I mean pixel for pixel design, not
outlines and curves like PostScript or TrueType fonts. It was hinted
specifically for screen pixels at those specific sizes.

Verdana was created as a variation of Tahoma for web work because
Microsoft seemed to want the same aesthetic but needed a font that
could be read with dense body copy. The web was just booming at that
time and Tahoma looks like junk when used as body copy because it was
designed mostly to be labels for dialog boxes. It has a much too wide
feel for long stretches of copy. As such, Verdana is certainly more
readable as body copy, but again, it was designed for certain small
screen sizes, 9px through 12px. Try using Verdana as a 20px headline
and it looks like crap.

So, if you all you care about is body copy set specifically at 10px
or 11px, then Verdana is fine. The moment you want to use it for
headlines and such, you're out of luck and will need to specify a
different headline font. I tend to specify Helvetiva Neue and Arial
so I don't have to worry about the issue. Arial is tolerable and with
ClearType turned on with bigger screens, in my opinion it looks far
better than Verdana ever will.

> - If there any studies or facts about that?

You don't use studies or "facts" to choose a typeface. That would be
like using a study that claims red is always the best color to use
for company backgrounds.

--
Andrei Herasimchuk

Principal, Involution Studios