Then, as a group, I would view this as an opportunity to that this "poor tool"
and turn it into something useful. That, my friends, is a consulting
opportunity, not a "this tool sucks, don't use it" opportunity.

Content Management Systems in general are misunderstood, and contain way too
many disparate features for people to use. That gives the end users a lot of
tools, but like any tool, if you use a hammer wrong, it won't work. Blaming it
on the tool isn't effective - it's an implementation issue (like any website).

What SharePoint works well is as a portal or CMS that replaces some very pricey
solutions (Notes, Documentum) with the same features, and a fraction of the
cost. Like open source, there will always be added (read: consulting services),
so instead of spending it on licensing fees, they can spend it on consulting
fees, which means they can spend it on developing an effective information
architecture and design.

If any of you want to know some of the issues we found, and how we use
SharePoint effectively, send me a note. We've skinned it so it looks nothing
like SharePoint, and have done it in days and not weeks on some projects.

Patrick

Patrick Neeman -- speakTECH: Strategize, Design, Deliver
Practice Manager, User Experience