Something that I've noticed across usability and design discussion
groups is that those of us who design and evaluate products often have
a difficult time agreeing on what a "great user interface" really is.
In fact, as a field, we are excellent at critiqueing products and
providing bad examples, but less good at highlighting really good
examples of design that nearly everyone would agree is a good design.
A question that I often ask candidates for jobs in usability,
interaction design, or related roles is "What designs have been
inspirations to you in your work and why were they inspirational?"
I've asked that question now 7 or 8 times and come up with some blank
stares.  I would be fine with many answers including people saying
thinks like I was inspired by the work of Dreyfuss or Lowey or Frog
design or Oxo products or the Bauhaus movement or Gestalt theory or
.....  Actually, when I ask people to list their top 5 book related to
the position, I often see them struggle.

Chauncey