As with any social networking applications, the quality of a given social
graph heavily depends on whether your users are using their real name in
their profile. Certain features such as 'people search' won't even be usable
if users don't use real name when signing up.

So the question is how do you encourage user to use their real name instead
of their nickname. We can't really prevent a user from signing up using a
fake/nickname and there's really no way to tell anyway. What kind of
incentive or encouragement we can give user to nudge them towards this area
other than the common privacy reassurances like 'we won't share your contact
info....'?

Please advise.

Kind regards,
Alvin