On Jan 30, 2008, at 12:29 PM, dave malouf wrote:

> Hi Andrei, we're close.

Not possible!  8^)

Yes. We are close. We were always close, and that has largely been my
frustration for so long since I'm obviously unable to communicate
this in way that makes that clear and not abrasive or confrontational.

> I think that the foundations taught in architecture and ID programs
> are quite specific. I.e. Graphic design is not included in
> foundations for most IDs and quite honestly the IDs I've worked with
> would make horrible graphic designers. Architecture also has a
> foundation, but type is not really a full-semester studio class from
> my recollection of looking at those programs.

This is all true. I agree.

The question then, if I read you correctly, is the degree and what
aspects of general design practice would be required? The fact ID
folks aren't trained in traditional graphic design does not mean they
skip specific training in material aesthetics as it applies to craft
and skills. And in fact, things like color theory largely cross
disciplines as it applies to both industrial design and graphic
design, so there is shared knowledge.

I agree with Jeff that Tufte isn't enough, and I didn't mean to imply
it was. I was only pointing out his book and its concepts as one of
the kinds of specific skills in craft that are directly applicable to
IxD. So the question is, how much is needed and what is enough?

My personal recommendation would be along the lines I mentioned in a
different thread a few weeks back: Color, Type and Composition. If
you want to be brave, I'd love to toss in Form as well. (As in the
kind of form making needed to design a physical product.) Those core
pieces seem to be the best place to start. Everyone should learn
those core pieces and then develop a deeper understanding of these
concepts and how to apply them later on as they grow as an IxDer. And
with those core skills under your belt, one better understands the
principles of a Tufte and how to use them for specific forms of
interaction design. One can also examine a Paul Rand, a Henry
Dreyfuss, a Charles Eames or Gerrit Rietveld and see deeper ways
those various aspects of design apply to interaction. Beyond that,
designers will more than likely find their own paths based on their
own personal strengths and desires. Some might find photography more
their liking, some might get into illustration or poster design, some
may enjoy making furniture, none of which needs to be considered a
core competency of IxD, but all skills that encourage and expand the
strength of IxD as a profession.

And of course, you'd have to fold in core interaction principles to
all this to create the proper balance as well, like understanding
time and motion, narrative, context, feedback mechanisms, patterns,
metaphors etc. I'm for all of it. By outlining one aspect of the
design skillset like I did above, I don't mean the imply that's the
only skillset, I'm just trying to point out the material aesthetic
and craft that have been lacking explicitly to this day from my point
of view in the context of IxD.

Is all of that too much? I honestly don't think so. It only feels
like a lot to someone who might have to go back to square one on some
of these things having not been given an opportunity to do so when
they were in the headspace of being in an academic environment. But
when I look at what it takes to become an architect, an industrial
designer, a graphic designer, even a lawyer or doctor... I honestly
don't believe that the combination of the skills I'm advocating
combined with the skills I see emerging in IxD as an agreed
foundation for all of IxD to be more overwhelming in scope that any
other of the great design professions.

> Now that being said, I believe there is a crisis in IxD education in
> the US specifically b/c of the dearth of programs, but globally b/c
> of the lack of consistency between programs (thus the definition
> problem).

This I also agree with. Especially as it relates to above.

> If I would create an Masters of Design program in IxD, it would first
> off be 3 years...

All good stuff.

> Now, if it were a bachelor's program, it would be a 5 year program.
> But does anyone want to be an interaction designer when they are 17.
> ;)

The day they do is the day you'll know the profession has arrived.

I also eagerly await the day http://ixda.org/about_interaction.php
changes to reflect this sort of direction in more explicit language.

--
Andrei Herasimchuk

Principal, Involution Studios
innovating the digital world