On 2/1/08, Andrei Herasimchuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I know of no formalized design profession in existence in this modern
> world where aesthetics, both material and immaterial, are not
> integral in some fashion to the practice of the discipline.

Integral, yes; fundamental no. There is a very important difference. Integral
is driven by the time context, fundamental is eternal. So yes the current
practice of IxD has a large focus on aesthetics integrated seamlessly
with design of behaviour but was it always that integral and will it remain
that integral or something else (sustainability, functional behaviour,
predictability etc) will take over. And since its integral and not
fundamental, can you do
IxD that is not focused on aesthetics - yes very much. Check out the consoles
of deep sea submarines (predictability and functional behaviour is of
prime importance). Checkout the airplane, the cockpit has literally
remained the
same for ages because sustainability is so important (you cant change the
location and form of the paddles and swtiches everyday) but go down the aisle
to the passenger cabin and you see aesthetics being of supreme importance.
The reason why aesthetics has become so important and almost looks
fundamental to IxD is because the major design focus of the current times
is Web design (By last count there are 27 billion web pages out there) and
the key differential is aesthetics - If you havent caught the eye you havent
caught the click, there is always a facebook to move to from orkut and a
gmail to move to from yahoo mail. Behaviour is important but what if you dont
even get the first click :-)

Cheers
Pankaj