I think we would need to go beyond just a before/after bad to good example. I
think we would also need to introduce the concept of context and how it is used.

What I think would be an interesting exercise would be to find a "bad design"
and show what a good design would look like under different contexts.

It might be fun to theorize under what context's the bad design would actually
be good. Likely, these theories would be so absurd and the examples of good
design so clear, that the reader may start to believe what we are saying not
because we are experts, but because we have allowed them to begin to analysis
the design.

What made me being this up was how calendars are used in the world of the
credit bureaus..

For folks whose jobs deal with credit reports, they need to see a calendar that
starts from today and then goes backward in time. They want to look up data
like: has it been 30/60/90 days since the last delinquent report was filed for
this consumer. Plus they only care about the most recent x months of
information. So, when a new month's worth of data gets added, the oldest month
of data is removed. (information is put in at the top and something is taken
out of the bottom).

Out of context, it you where to look at the programs they use, you would think
they where bad calendar designs. If you where to try and "fix it" for them,
then they would constantly be making mistakes as they went between your fixed
program and the dozens of other reports, programs, forms, and artifacts which
still show calendars going backwards in time.

Chauncey, I would be willing to collaborate with you on an effort like this. It
would be fun and could be a new way to educate folks outside our field on what
we do.

Nick Iozzo
Principal User Experience Architect

tandemseven

847.452.7442 mobile

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.tandemseven.com/

Bad usability calendars are fun, but as a field, we are often criticized for
showing mostly bad examples and not highlighting good designs that are
recognized as usable by most. In fact, we often have trouble even agreeing on
concrete examples of design that have 'high"
usability. There are sites that highlight bad web sites, unusable products,
poor signs, bad doc, and consumer products by mainstream companies that are
rife with design flaws. It would be good to create a "good usability" calendar
and sites that highlight designs that are considered usable. There are
magazines that have the Top 100 designs, but many of those may not actually be
usable (I'm thinking the round mouse that surfaces once every twenty years to
win industrial design awards, but in fact, is not very usable).
Perhaps when we show bad examples in presentations, we should be required to
show an improved version (before/after shots).
Chauncey