I'd echo what Christine and Joseph say, and add that in some cases
you can simply view the site's name or title in the same way you
would a logo. I personally don't like the generic "Home" link,
either, but I like using a consistent text link in the main nav that
functions as a "home" link.

Redundancy is good too, to a point, so the combination of a
consistent text link and consistent logo is often a good idea. The
important thing is to establish those cognitive links that help users
make sense of your content.

Note that, on this very page, you can hover over the IxDA logo to
summon the word "Home" ... This reinforces your guess that the logo
may function as expected.