I've just finished installing a RAM upgrade to my three-year-old Mac
to keep it viable for another year and I'm wondering: Why is no-one
out there building a sustainable desktop PC?

In graphic design, we've got to buy new hardware every 3-5 years
(sooner, if you're not a cheapskate like me) just to stay compatible
with the rest of the world. I'll be forced to buy a new a Mac in a
year or two because they've switched to Intel-based processors and
pretty soon, none of my software will run properly on the old
processor. Old computers pile up like (giant, expensive) dust bunnies
around our house. I went to our local computer recycling station
eighteen months ago with an entire SUV's worth of old equipment, and
already the attic is filling up again.

It's as if the auto industry switched fuel every four years, forcing
you to buy a new car. But even car manufacturers let you trade in
your old vehicle when you buy a new one.

I realize this isn't an interaction design question, but there are a
lot of bright minds here. How come no-one's stepping up to the plate
and saying, "we've got to end the madness!" How hard could it be to
build something modular, where you could upgrade the insides
periodically, and ship the old parts back to manufacturer for a
rebate (and to be recycled)?

-- Kim

    Kim Bieler Graphic Design
    www.kbgd.com