I live in Minneapolis, and I can confirm that we do indeed have a thriving
interactive community here. We have a few product/industrial design firms,
which is probably as close as you'll get to doing pure IxD here. But we do
have a number of interactive agencies & consultancies doing the whole range
of UX research & design activities. These places are almost always looking
for people to fill additional roles.
Minneapolis is also a Northwest Airlines hub, so we're actually more
fly-through territory than fly-over, really. : )

F.