I find this idea of tracking conversations in twitter interesting. From
the Twitter site:

"Twitter is a service for friends, family, and co–workers to communicate
and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one
simple question: What are you doing?"

That does say "communicate" but it doesn't say converse. It's based on
answering one question. Twitter has morphed from being a simple status
updater to being a global chat program. The "limitations" we're talking
about are outside of Twitter's focus. It's not a forum, it's not a chat
app. It's a status feed. Since Facebook was mentioned, think about the
fact that they have two separate tools for communication and status
(status and the wall). Sure, I can see the "wall-to-wall" conversation
thread, but that's separate from the status.

Now, that does not mean the API doesn't create opportunities for third
parties to adapt to the usage, or even that Twitter might not enable
features to adapt to the usage, but in regards to the original purpose of
twitter, conversing wasn't it. I'm not sure the folks at Twitter expected
the use of replies and direct messages to overtake the basic tweeting as a
primary usage.

Just my $0.02.

--
Lance E. Leonard