Hummers consume more gas due to the laws of physics. What golden rule
says that to have more screen real estate should make applications
less useable?   Even a single large monitor can reflect all the
problems:  Keyholes galore, assuming a single resolution, or
peripherals for all status, problems with liquid layout, poor
contextual design, unintelligent modals.   If you are suggesting this
is fine and dandy, I'll let you stick with your scrolling fetishes,
and stone tablets...I have more fun things to do.

Larger monitors, faster harddrives, and cpu's are here to stay, people
are already routinely hooking up pc's to big screens, and
microprojectors are coming soon. I'm only a few years ahead of the
power-user consumer. Ironically  mobile phones and GPS with the most
limited ui's tend to favor contextual.