On May 6, 2008, at 3:53 PM, Brett Ingram wrote:

Something about that doesn't seem to be quite in the best interest of the user. Where does that leave us as designers? The business is our client, not the end user.

This has been debated before...40 yrs ago :-) Legendary designer Charles Eames did a simple yet brilliant sketch that illustrated the zone of an optimal solution, addressing the ideal fusion of competing/ cooperating concerns, as a diagram with a “sweet spot” of intersections:

http://www.ghostinthepixel.com/?p=103

And more recently, Henry Petroski from Why There is No Perfect Design (which is a great read, imho):

“Designing anything involves satisfying constraints, making choices, containing costs, and accepting compromises.”

It's not about either "the user" or "the business"... the best skilled designers figure how to *balance* competing concerns (with the technology, human factors, etc.). Yeah It's difficult, but that's the deal you signed up for as a designer. Sorry :-) (I go more into this in my paper "Fog of Design" if anyone's interested, about lessons learned on the complexity of practice)

And when thwarted by those competing forces (hopefully a rare moment), you just gotta learn to let go and move on, knowing that you gave it your best effort at achieving "the good design"...

Uday Gajendar
Sr. Interaction Designer
Voice Technology Group
Cisco | San Jose