In reviewing this thread it seems to me that two different types of
expectation are being mentioned.  One is more like trust:  I trust
that a button marked "Save now" will actually do what it says it
will do.

The other type of expectation, though, is one which is the real
design problem, and that comes from expectations about how tasks and
needs "should" be met.  This type of expectation mainly comes from
legacy, from previous experiences and prior learning, regardless of
whether the expected method is the best method for the user.
Something fabulous for a complete novice may fall on its face with a
pro.

When approaching legacy expectations, new ways might indeed be more
usable, less work, whatever your metric for success is, but part of
the design considerations to be applied have to take into account,
and neutralize, legacy expectations.