> Yes, but do you have good instincts on when to trust your instincts?
>
> Or is this a "Good Judgments come from Experience and Experience comes from
> Bad Judgments" thing?

I don't mean to make it sound like the decision to research or not is
allinstinct. You have to examine the situation, of course. If the
activity is
something you can perform yourself, is relatively common or predictable,
etc, then you can usually research it without involving users. If it's
something alien to you and is not typical or common, and is not something
you can easily go perform and research yourself, you might need to talk to
some people who know about it.

It's not as fuzzy as I'm making it sound. If you're writing a college term
paper on a subject that's covered in depth by library books, then you can
spend some time at the library and come out with a great result (assuming
you've applied some intelligence and aren't just recycling). If, on the
other hand, your paper is about dog-fighting in WWII warplanes, it's less
likely you'll find the good stuff in a library book, and you might want to
go talk some pilots who were there.

-r-