On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 3:41 AM, Rony Philip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Which navigational approach is most suited?

1. Alphabetical Navigation: A primary navigation that simply displays all the alphabets. When user hovers the mouse on any alphabet, all the items
related to that particular alphabet is displayed.

2. Categorized Navigation: Group items under different categories (tab
navigation) like - Electronics, Furniture, Technology, Supplies, etc.

First, I just thought I'd take advantage of this opportunity to remind us of Jared's favorite (and mine) example of a categorized catalog navigation:
   http://www.mcmaster.com/

Second, I find it hard to imagine any practical utility whatsoever for an alphabetically-organized navigation for a product catalog, except perhaps if the list of stuff is entirely visible in one screen so the user can find their selection (which seems unlikely, unless your inventory is pretty small).

Any item I can think of in the office-supply world seems likely to have a dozen different names and may appear under a dozen different letters of the alphabet depending on the idiosyncrasies of the company (more likely several companies) responsible for classifying and naming the products (Ink, Printer Ink, Laser Printer Ink, Color Ink, Cartridges, Replacement Ink, Refills, Accessories for Printers, etc.). Leah's thesaurus suggestion is good, but you may end up laboring over that thesaurus for a great many moons, and may need to update it frequently.

IMHO, alphabetization only works if the subject matter has little to no alternate possible naming. If every item in your index has one, two, three or more alternate names, your labor increases by that same factor, probably more.

Cheers
-Cf

Christopher Fahey
Behavior