Good question Dave.  Let me give it a historical twist. Journalism is a
field looking back on 50 years or so of accredited bachelor's degree
programs.

These days most of the journalists working in the field have bachelor's
degrees in journalism, from accredited programs, whether practice-oriented
gritty public affairs idealistic programs, or programs that assess existing
conditions from the mass comm perspective. Many still debate whether this
degree is the best preparation to be a journalist.

They enter a field that eats its young, pays poorly, and bears little
resemblance to the journalistic ideals they studied. They generally get
hired away by PR about the time they start families, unless they're the real
Kool-Aid drinkers.

Folks in the highest profile journalism jobs all went to the same prep
schools and got liberal arts degrees in the Ivy Leagues, and fell into the
incestuous network that runs publishing in the US. They didn't need nor
generally pursued journalism degrees, unless it was a master's at Columbia.
They generally don't tell you that, when you are attending one of those
State U utilitarian journalism programs. That's kind of what made Tim
Russert such an anomaly.

Journalism originally was a self-taught blue collar profession, the
cigar-chomping, hard-drinking, ambulance-chasing, macho type of WeeGee and
yellow journalism, the muckrakers, and all that. I just lost a colleague
this past week whose liver paid the price of living that original journalism
life. People grew old in this field tho, or could, if they had the livers
for it. They weren't all laid off before they turned 50 or had too much
experience and made corporate management nervous by the questions they
asked.

Which type of preparation served that profession best? It's a great
opportunity, to think of the best ways to shape a new profession, as it is
beginning to set standards, to decide which fork in the road to go down. I
find myself wishing journalism had taken a different fork.

Chris