Adam,

I've seen similar discussions in the software engineering field, where I
come from.  And you see similar answers.  Those who have invested in
schooling tend to want to defend it as important, which makes perfect
sense--nobody wants to think they wasted their time and money, and higher
degrees do have a certain mystique.

Those who have managed to succeed without the schooling tell you that,
surprise, you can succeed without the schooling.  That makes sense, too--cuz
they did it.

I have a BA in medieval history and a minor in humanities, and I've been
what I'd call pretty darn successful as a software engineer/architect.  Now
my interests have turned more towards design, and I'm lucky enough I guess
to have positioned myself at a company that supports me so that I can pursue
that.

I have no doubt that I'd pick up certain things in, say, an MFA program that
I won't pick up by personal study and on the job experience, but I echo what
others say in that it just doesn't make sense for me to pursue that right
now.  In the end, it comes down to just applying yourself to what you're
passionate about and finding a place that values you for what you do and the
kind of person you are, a place where you fit in, as it were.

If you think having a master's or higher is important and you're passionate
about that--do it.  You'll likely be happier with others who have that same
opinion.  You'll be happier in a culture like that.

On the other hand, if you prefer to work for folks who can recognize a
valuable person despite formal education in your field, I have no doubt that
you can be quite successful taking that approach.  It may be harder in some
senses to establish yourself, but once you show your passion and (one hopes)
ability, you don't have to worry about it.

I'm probably biased given my experiences, but I am one of those who thinks
higher degrees are a nice to have.  I'll take someone who's paved their own
way any day.  That, in itself, says a lot about a person, if you ask me.

--Ambrose