Hi Cristine and all,

Interesting discussion and points,

Actually fairly equivalent precursors to Google were invented pre-1990 by the
folks at Thinking Machines (notably, Danny Hillis, Brewster Kahle, Craig
Stanfill and David Waltz).  The program ran on massively parallel computers on
about 5 years worth of the Wall Street Journal.
The interface and functionality were pretty similar to Google (and it probably
offered some secondary functionality that Google doesn't offer - I don't know
enough about the Google algorithm to directly speak to it.)

Another point to consider - is - that it is the technology underlying Google
that allows its interface to be so simple.

(as a note, most people who played a role in TMC's text retrieval project were
phd's from MIT, although though it should be mentioned - in light of this set
of discussions - that Brewster has a bachelor's degree in Mechanical
Engineering from MIT).

two references:
http://battellemedia.com/archives/000712.php
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=7907&dl=ACM&coll=portal&CFID=33592154&CFTOKEN=39196368

Thanks,

Donna Fritzsche
Information Architect/Ontologist

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 14:39:53 -0400, Christine Boese wrote