Thanks Donna! Interesting info and historical perspective.

Dunno which part of Google is limited to interaction design, but would we
love the basic interaction of a single uncluttered text entry field for
searching if it didn't have the screaming fast Google back-end and
algorithms behind it?

Yet the innovation, over other search predecessors, from a user's
standpoint, was the simplified interface, and the willingness to devote all
attention to search, rather than the distractions created by portal links
and advertisers.

However, the history of search is very interesting, and into this mix, I'd
also throw U of Minnesota's gopher system, with Archie and Veronica.

Funny, isn't it, for those of us who roamed around online in command line,
pre-web days, that when you reflect upon them, the absence of search gave
life more of an "exploring an unknown woods" feeling, but now, looking back,
I'd say it really was more like exploring an unknown woods while wearing a
blindfold. Even with Archie and Veronica.

Chris