I would recommend that you conduct a metaphor brainstorming session on
your topic and then list the criteria that are important and narrow
the list down. When you do the metaphor brainstorming, you'll come up
with ideas that you can use when you work with a visual designer.  The
other things you can do is have some in-person or online braindrawing
sessions.  I would be happy to share a bit more about these techniques
offline if you are interested or post a few more details.

Thanks,
Chauncey