hi Jim,
the parameters with which you can evaluate your icon are graphical
concreteness, functional appropriateness, and its cross cultural sensitivity
(colors, understanding, and so on). There is a lot of work on cross cultural
design, and symbols. check out the following on icons from Oracle
corporation.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/blaf/specs/icons.html

you must also be able to find some material in icons in LISA and ACMSIGCHI.
Just a Google search brought up a white paper. You can probably request it
from here as well.

http://www.translate.com/technology/multilingual_standard/symbols_icons_white_paper_request.html

Usually with all icons there is a learning associated with it. thsts where
the practice of icon + label came in picture. Once this learning happens
instant pattern recognition happens. This is what human are good at.
Maintaining consistency is important and the lesser the number it is better.
Hope it helps.

thanks,
Ram