Yep. True... When I did my ID degree at Michigan, we took a Design Research course, and the concerns of people-context-tasks were woven into the studio projects, particularly the upper level ones (lower level were typical form studies, tools/materials, shop experience). Most of that involved Dreyfus and Eames of course. I'd think any reputable ID program nowadays has this as a routine with perhaps even broader knowledge bases today drawing upon pysch, anthro, and more, beyond the typical/historical HF and ergo sources...

Hope this helps,

Uday Gajendar
Sr. Interaction Designer
Voice Technology Group