I don't have time for a long response, but some quick comments:

It's interesting that some of the same people saying "UCD is dead" are the
same ones saying they don't know what it is and are constantly trying to
define it. How can it be dead if we don't know what it is? Seems like a lot
of the argument is around semantics and granular definitions instead of the
broad concept of what UCD is.

For me, all this simply means there is not a standard way of doing things
that is alway repeatable - sometimes UCD is not the right approach and more
a visionary design strategy is best. Apple, some Google products, the other
products mentioned in discussions here are all examples.

However, when the problem is more complex than simple text based search UI,
or playing music on a device, then clearly it can be really advantageous to
pick the appropriate UCD tools and techniques and use them to one's
advantage. It's contextual and making blanket statements about any approach
always working or not working seems unwise. You don't always have to do
personas to do UCD. And UCD research doesn't have to be this monolithic
gigantor of a time and money hog. You can use super cheap and lightweight
methods and get great results.

Industry leaders who use UCD: Salesforce.com, Autodesk, Google, Amazon.com.
Cooper's products, Adaptive Path's clients and products, AA Razorfish. Those
firms I believe are examples of great design, and each use some flavor of
UCD, as far as I know.

I don't think any method should be wholly discarded - as designers we should
have a big 'ole toolbox of approaches, and know when and why to use certain
ones.

UCD is not broken in my opinion. Just my two cents. Great discussions here
recently.

Jeff