I'd be happy to elaborate -- and I'd love feedback, as this is something I'm
always trying to streamline and improve.

I try to identify the items under investigation ahead of time, so that I can
mark up a prewritten test script during the test. My usability tests are often
short and target a small number of issues, so that the results are manageable
and my DHTML-based "moving mockups" can keep up with the expected variations
they'll need to handle. I'd rather perform three short tests than one unwieldy
one.

Here's what a sample moderator script looks like. Notice that the expected
problem areas are identified ahead of time, with space for notes. It's much
faster for me to work from my notes, and they're essential if I can't record
the session for any reason.

1. Please log into the system using username: ME and password: PW.
   [Clock stops when they click Log In. Time: ____]
   [Username typo? Y/N]
   [Password typo? Y/N]
   [Clicked the correct button on first try? Y/N]

2. Please create a new login for John Smith.
   [Clock stops when they click Save at the end. Time:____]
   [Correct navigation? Y/N -- If N, where to first?_____]
   [Required fields entered? Y/N -- If N, which weren't?_____]
   [Default password >6 char? Y/N]