I just took the role of Director UX at a small interactive marketing agency,
and i need to show/tell/present to them what UX is and is not. It's a team
of one now that is growing to meet demand. (Our first addition joins next
week.)

The need:
The whole company - from graphic designers who are moving from print to web
to account execs to project managers - need to learn a little and a lot
about what UX is and does. This is to answer questions like "When do we
bring you into a project and why?" to "Why do you make a sitemap instead of
the technology team?" to "Why do you suddenly get to tell me what to design
if I'm a designer and you're not?"

What should I include? Skill sets. Deliverable types.
What's worked for you? What lessons did you learn? What do you wish they
knew about you when you started?
Can you point me to good examples or maybe share one with me directly?

I want to steer clear of the "What is IxD versus IA" type of inside
baseball. My first was to set a vision of "differentiate and connect" along
the lines of typical dichotomies design-vs-engineering, art-plus-business,
exploration-vs-analyis. I'd like to set up a design problem from a fake
project, show a "without UX" solution, and then show a "with UX" solution.
The with-UX version being improved by diverse problem-solving skills rather
than trying the "we just design better than you" line.

My goals: Get involved in more projects. Get involved earlier. Shift from
hand-off or check-in with designers and technology teams to a collaborative
relationship.

I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. I apologize to those of you who
got this on a cross-posting.

--
Jay A. Morgan