Hey Tom,
I am currently designing an application using the ribbon (which yes
we'll have to get licensed from MS). Our product will release in
2010 at which point we expect that most users will be familiar with
the paradigm - whether its easier to use or not. I still have
problems with it after 3 months use. I definitely have use for what
used to be the task pane in 03 (that is now gone) or possibly the
inspector that was described in the previous post. The ribbon
guidelines recommend that items aren't contextual in the ribbon - I
need contextual tools as our product is a complex EAP application.
You're right about the guidelines - sort of weak for what I need
answered - like what granularity should be on the ribbon etc. I did
find some insight in a Microsoft Office blog here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/default.aspx Hope this helps!