While I can agree that the fold may not be a barrier to users, I would argue
that the fold remains a SERIOUS consideration for ad display rates and
views, and in search results display.

Whether or not users are ABLE to scroll and readily do so does not affect
the power of the screen scan on initial page load, esp with high bounce
rates being pretty normal.

It's that power of the page scan on page load that gives the fold power
still, and not anachronistic power because advertisers are slow on the
evolution of user behavior.

For instance, people have always known they can read entire front page of
newspapers, entire newspapers, but that knowledge does not diminish in any
way the power of the REAL newspaper fold, given that it shows through the
window in the automated machines, or appears at the top of the stack of
papers wherever they happen to be up for sale. As a newspaper photographer
many moons ago, I had no illusions that my stock went up exponentially every
time I landed the dominant front page shot above the fold that carried the
page.

This same reasoning also figures in the way resumes get out of a slush pile,
what they call the 5-second scan. That 5-second scan does not diminish the
importance of having substance backing it up within the resume, but it does
establish a resume "fold" of sorts as well.

So if I were either advertisers or people trying to reach preferred natural
search engine results placement, I would not diminish the importance of the
fold any time soon.

Chris