"scrolling seems to be ingrained behavior for anyone with a mouse in
their hand"

I suspect that the more prevalent presence of the central scroller for
the mouse is a reason why scrolling is more common now, even among
novices. The mouse design lends itself to easy scrolling, when you don't
have to move specially to the side of the screen to do it.

In my experience, on the home page users don't like to scroll, but once
they're at a destination page, they will happily scroll.

Alinta Thornton
User Experience Lead

independent digital media
web publishing | marketing+technology services | publisher solutions
Westside, Level 2 Suite C, 83 O'Riordan Street, Alexandria NSW Australia
2015
PO Box 7160, Alexandria, NSW 2015
W www.idmco.com.au

B http://ezia.blogspot.com