Agree. Statement may be true: clicking is not necessary
at all; but it's similiar problem to the steering wheel on the
right side - convention we have learned to and which cannot
be breaken effortless. Click means "confirm, proceed, make
a decision, take on" - and personally I like to have a right to
make this decision or make it not, even in the last moment
(i.e. when mouse pointer is already over the clickable area).

Greetings,
Kordian Piotr Klecha

We are so condition for so many years with mouse clicking to confirm our