Hi Damon,

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Damon Dimmick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think I get what you are saying, but I disagree on the idea of google
> fulfilling all the needs of facebook. Sure, it can, if all your contacts
> maintain a website and you fancy searching for their info, one at a
> time, every time you are interested.
Maybe my refer to google leads the confusing, here for google example,
i set to say it makes life better.

> I'm not saying that facebook is "game changing," but it does allow for
> passive keeping in touch, which is exactly what most people want out of
> their non-central relationships. When it comes to second order friends,
> we all generally want to keep abreast of their lives and be able to jump
> in when something interests us, otherwise stay clear without any negatives.
>
> Facebook allows the kind of active/passive dichotomy that is perfect for
> people who don't have the energy to keep in constant active contact with
> their networks. You don't have to take part, you don't have to be
> engaged, but you can see what's going on, and if you like it or it
> interests you, you can reach out.
>
> As far as I know, facebook is almost the ideal scenario for this kind of
> user goal, and I don't know if there are other technologies that meet
> that need as effectively or efficiently. There are other sites that do
> similar things, and they are all contenders, but currently facebook
> seems the best suited this particular kind of interaction.
>
> And I would argue that this need for passive contact is actually
> something that many of us, maybe a majority of us, intrinsically have.
> There are certainly other technologies that dance well around this idea
> (twitter, general IM, your basic web log) but facebook's advantage is
> bifurcated: it requires little effort to broadcast, and even less effort
> to receive. My mother would probably never twitter, but facebook she
> understands. My nephew, who's all lightning-fast thumbs and text skill,
> still uses it too, because it's easier than sending a message to each of
> his 187 friends.

Ah, it maybe depends on the culture/area difference. For myself, I
have facebook account and MySpace account, but use it very few, and
also found this from my friends. And IM serves the relationship keeper
well for this case. [But I agree Facebook/MySpace/Linkden do well on
the relationship keeping.]

> I would therefore argue that calling something "obsolete" because other
> choices are available isn't sufficient. I mean, the skateboard is
> another choice for getting around a city, but does that make car's
> obsolete? For true obsolescence to occur, there must be a better way to
> accomplish the goal that the newly-obsolete technology addresses, and
> this better way must make the original choice more costly (in a games
> theory sense of utility) than the new technology in so far as satisfying
> that user goal.

Agree fully.

> It's certainly possible to keep up with your network via google
> searches, twitters, emails, IMs etc. Or, you could just log onto
> Facebook and see what's going on with most of your contacts in one fell
> swoop by scanning a single page. The energy required to satisfy the goal
> of keeping up with my extended network is far lower when I use facebook
> than when I use a constellation of other technologies. If and when that
> changes, facebook may well become obsolete, but so far it seems to be
> the better solution.
>
> However, if we're just talking about "trends" and such, well, then sure,
> Facebook may be moving towards obsolescence (if you believe it has
> crested or jumped the shark). But still, that implies something better
> coming along.
>
> Just my thoughts.
>
> -Damon
>
> Jarod Tang wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Damon Dimmick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Genuine question: People are saying that facebook is obsolete.... Why?
>>> What supplanted it?
>>>
>> It's not a issue on replacement, but more on if it make people's
>> everyday better, for e.g., by google, you could easily searching for
>> the information you want, by amazon, you want to get the object you
>> interested. By facebook, you want to have friends, yes, keep
>> relationships ( for what?), And it's good to have keep friendship and
>> share experience, and that's all. The sites does good job on this, and
>> it's not enough to say it's a game changing stuff.
>>
>> What'll be next phenomenon?
>> It definitely should be some one that make people's life better, like
>> google dose. Like a better traveling experience, a better city life, a
>> life long better education , etc. And safe food service ( for e.g. ,
>> taking into account current food safety issue from China and Japan) ,
>> a better energy friendly living system, etc. The chances are open.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -- Jarod

Cheers,
-- Jarod