I also think it really depends on the collborative environment you
want to work in. I have had much more success working with great
visual/3D folks than doing it on my own. They are deep in viz and
I'm deep in IxD and the combination is rocket fuel when applied
well.

So I don't think this is an always situation at all.

I have been giving some thought to this b/c I think the answer
depends a lot of your perspective when you answer it.

If I were to think about this from a career path/education
perspective, I actually agree MORE with Andrei than not. What I mean
is that I don't think that there is a real path for an entry level
interaction designer (purist). IxD is best when it is work done in
conjunction with form design (graphic or industrial). The next level
of education is mastery in Interaction outside of any specific medium
(or across any medium). This is like converting from a screen writer
to a creative writer regardless of medium. The goal of the master
grad is to be able to direct, not to build directly and work with
great form-giving talent while guiding the narrative & interactive
aesthetics to the next level.

The one thing I totally agree on with Andrei is that none of this is
theory for theory sake. Theory w/o a grounding in practice is
mental-masturbation. And practice w/o grounding in theory is just a
waste of time and resources.

-- dave