I interviewed Dav Mrozek Rauch who designed the HUD for the film Iron
Man. It's an interesting example of interaction design for several
reasons. One is that it goes through three stages in the film, from
the very basic MK I, to the Mk II's bells and whistles, before
simplifying it again in the MK III version (that you don't get to
see much of in the film).

Also, there was a question of whether the HUD presents information
for to look at, or whether when you look at something it presents
supplementary information.

Here's what Dav had to say:

%u201CEarly on we were mostly talking about its functionality and
what it would technically do, but we weren%u2019t really talking
about it as a character. All the real answers came when we identified
the suit as a character and what it should accomplish in the
story.%u201D

%u201CI asked John Favreau and he said, %u2018He%u2019s having a
conversation with Jarvis, it depends on who%u2019s asking the
question%u2019. If Tony asks a question then Jarvis responds, if Tony
is flying and he%u2019s hit then Jarvis throws up some information and
Tony looks at it. Once I started looking at the shots like that it
became so obvious. What was really interesting for myself and the
team is that we weren%u2019t just making visual effects, we
weren%u2019t just doing design, we were filmmaking and we were making
stories and doing it in a very collaborative way.%u201D

I felt this was everything that Clippy failed to be. Thinking of
interface design as a conversation is crucial, I feel.

Andy